In IB courses, Live Lessons are when students and teachers meet at a scheduled time in a synchronous environment, with planned instructional objectives.
The purpose and function of live lessons is to:
- Ensure opportunities for direct student-to-student and student-to-teacher communication
- Address subject-specific learning objectives
- e.g. Mathematics – to allow students to see problem-solving “in action”
- e.g. Languages – to allow students to have live conversation in the target language
- Give students greater control over their learning at agreed points in the course
- Foster the development of students’ Approaches to Learning (ATL), such as communication and social skills
Important points to remember about live lessons:
- Live Lessons are only one form of instructional interaction in the Pamoja learning environment and hence have a frequency that reflects this.
- The number of live lessons attended should not detract from the time a teacher needs to work with students asynchronously or from the time that a student needs to review course content, interact asynchronously and complete assignments.