N2022 Group 2
SPANISH AB INITIO - PROCEDURE for SBCs
*Please note that the following guidance reflects the most recent changes made by the IB to account for the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic*
1. Internal Oral Assessment (IOA) Components
Internal Oral Assessment: 25%.
The IOA will initially be internally assessed by the teacher. Criteria marks and teacher marking comments will be submitted to the IB along with the recording. The IOA will then be externally marked by the IB.
2. Individual Oral Assessment Details
Approximately 30 minutes
The individual oral must be scheduled during the final year of the course.
It will consist of one recorded conference per student:
- Supervised preparation (15 minutes): the student receives five visual stimuli, each relating to a different theme from the course, and selects one of the images. The student prepares a presentation on this and can make brief notes using bullet points.
- Part one (approximately 1-2 minutes): the student describes the visual stimulus and relates it to the relevant theme.
- Part two (approximately 3-4 minutes): follow-up discussion between teacher and student expanding on the information provided in the presentation. All related to the same theme.
- Part three (approximately 3-4 minutes): a general conversation between the teacher and student on at least one additional theme taken from the five themes around which the course is based.
The individual oral must be a spontaneous conversation and it must not be rehearsed.
3. Individual Oral Assessment Procedure
Important Note- The individual oral assessment must follow strict IB regulations and Pamoja usually asks the SBC or another member of school staff to proctor the exam. However, in light of the current COVID-19 outbreak, the IB has issued extra guidance allowing the IOA to be conducted without a proctor. Pamoja has therefore adopted the following procedure:
- If the school is open during the Internal Assessment window, the oral assessment must be completed as normal in the presence of the SBC or a school-appointed member of staff.
- If the school is closed due to local COVID restrictions, the IOA can be conducted between the teacher and student with no proctor. The student must ensure that they have their camera and audio switched on for the whole duration of the exam. They will be asked to use their camera to show that they have no unauthorised material in the room/on their desk etc. If the teacher suspects any malpractice, the IOA will be stopped.
a. The Internal Assessments will be conducted during Weeks 49 to 51 (22 June to 12 July 2022). Students must sign-up beforehand on the sheet provided by each course teacher in Sharepoint. If none of the possible times are suitable, the student should contact the teacher ASAP to ask to make other arrangements.
Teachers will set the conference in the platform (Zoom) for each student. If using school-managed computers, SBCs should check that there are no restrictions on accessing the Zoom software. If required, this must be checked with IT support in advance of the IOA.
On the day of the assessment, connect to Zoom Conference IOA OFFICIAL five minutes before the assigned time. If being conducted in school, both the student and SBC must be present and near the student during the entire assessment.
b. If Zoom does not work, connect with the Pamoja teacher via Skype. Please ensure your Skype ID is sent to the Pamoja teacher ahead of the official oral.
c. If proctoring, SBCs are responsible for ensuring examination conditions are met. Provide the students with a headset with a microphone, and a pen with some blank paper. Make sure the location being used for the assessment is quiet to ensure a good quality recording.
If not being proctored, students are responsible for ensuring that they are in a quiet location and that they have checked their webcam and microphone are working in advance of the exam.
d. Video must be turned on throughout the assessment for the students.
4. Detail on the Individual Oral Assessment
At the beginning of the exam, students will be asked to say a disclaimer, authorizing their recording to be shared for assessment purposes:
I “candidate 123abc” confirm that I am aware that this session is being recorded and that I give permission for this to be stored, transmitted and used for the purposes of assessment as needed for me to fulfil my requirements of the course.
For the IOA Preparation time (15 minutes)
a. Students should only have blank paper and a pen. Notes, dictionaries, books, access to the computer (online translator or other sites), switching tabs on the browser or using any other devices or material are NOT allowed.
b. The student will be shown five pictures and should select one to describe.
c. The 15 minutes should be used to take brief notes on what will be said about the picture (reminder- brief notes up to a maximum of 10 bullet points). These notes should be used as reference only and should not be read aloud during the recording.
For the IOA OFFICIAL
a. When the 15 minutes’ preparation is up, the teacher will ask the student to hold up their notes so that they can be checked and the teacher will take a screenshot of them. The teacher will then prompt the student to start the description of their chosen picture.
b. The student has 1-2 minutes to describe the picture.
c. The teacher will then ask questions about the picture and related theme for about 3-4 minutes.
d. The teacher will then move onto a general conversation for 3-4 minutes on at least one other theme.
- The questions are designed in such a way that the student must use different verb tenses, in particular present, past, future, present progressive, conditional etc.
- The student must make sure to answer to the best of his/her ability in complete sentences and always justify his/her answers by demonstrating their speaking skills in the language.
To end the recording, the teacher will tell the student that they have finished!
e. If in school, the SBC should scan and email the bullet point notes to their Pamoja teacher. If not being proctored, students are responsible for sending their notes to their teacher immediately upon completion of their exam.
See instructions on how to find a Pamoja teacher’s email address: https://help.pamojaeducation.com/hc/en-us/articles/4414446900493-SBC-Support-Finding-a-Teacher-s-Email-Address
IOAs will be uploaded to e-coursework and sent to IB examiners by Pamoja Education