*Please note that the following guidance reflects the most recent changes made by the IB to account for the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic*
1. Internal Assessment Components
Individual Oral: 25%.
The individual oral will initially be internally assessed by the teacher. Criteria marks and teacher marking comments will be submitted to the IB along with the recording. The individual oral will then be externally marked by the IB.
2. Internal Assessment Details
The IA consists of one recorded conference per student which lasts approximately 15 minutes:
Supported by an extract from one non-literary text and one from a literary work previously studied in class, students will offer a prepared response of 10 minutes, followed by 5 minutes of questions by the teacher, to the following prompt:
Examine the ways in which the global issue of your choice is presented through the content and form of one of the works and one of the bodies of work that you have studied.
Students must consult with their teacher about their choice of texts, extracts and global issue as well as about their draft outline. Students are also required to submit their extracts to the teacher at least a week prior to the date of the examination.
3. Internal Assessment Procedure
Important Note- The individual oral must follow strict IB regulations and Pamoja usually asks the SBC or another member of school staff to proctor the exam. However, in light of the current COVID-19 outbreak, the IB has issued extra guidance allowing the individual oral to be conducted without a proctor. Pamoja has therefore adopted the following procedure:
- If the school is open during the Internal Assessment window, the individual oral must be completed as normal in the presence of the SBC or a school-appointed member of staff
- If the school is closed, the individual oral can be conducted between the teacher and student with no proctor. The student must ensure that they have their camera switched on for the whole duration of the exam. They will be asked to use their camera to show that they have no unauthorised material in the room/on their desk etc. If the teacher suspects any malpractice, the individual oral will be stopped.
- The individual orals will be conducted during Weeks 32 and 33 (18th May- 1st June 2022). Students must sign-up on the sheet provided by their teacher in Sharepoint. If none of the possible times are suitable, they should contact the teacher ASAP to make other arrangements.
Teachers will set the conference in the platform (Zoom) for each student. If using school-managed computers, SBCs should check that there are no restrictions on accessing the Zoom software. If required, this should be checked with IT support in advance of the IA.
On the day of the assessment, connect to Zoom Conference IOA OFFICIAL five minutes before the assigned time. If being conducted in school, both the student and SBC must be present during the entire assessment.
- If Zoom does not work, connect with the Pamoja teacher via Skype. Please ensure your Skype ID is sent to the Pamoja teacher ahead of the official oral.
- If proctoring, SBCs are responsible for ensuring examination conditions are met. Provide the students with a headset with a microphone. Make sure the location being used for the assessment is quiet to ensure a good quality recording.
If not being proctored, students are responsible for ensuring that they are in a quiet location and that they have checked their webcam and microphone are working in advance of the exam.
- Video must be turned on throughout the assessment for the students.
- Students should bring unannotated copies of their two extracts (one from a non-literary text and one from a literary work) to the exam
- Students will have been provided with an outline form in advance of the exam. This can contain brief notes (up to 10 bullet points) to help provide structure to the oral.
4. Detail on the Individual Oral
At the beginning of the exam, students will be asked to say a disclaimer authorizing their recording to be shared for assessment purposes:
I “candidate 123abc” confirm that I am aware that this session is being recorded and that I give permission for this to stored, transmitted and used for the purposes of assessment as needed for me to fulfil my requirements of the course.
- The teacher will ask the student to hold up their outline form so that it can be checked and the teacher will take a screenshot of it
- The student will have 10 minutes to say their prepared response
- There will be 5 minutes of questions by the teacher
- To end the recording, the teacher will tell the student that they have finished!
- If in school, the SBC should scan and email the outline form to their Pamoja teacher. If not being proctored, students are responsible for sending their form to their teacher upon completion of the exam.
See instructions on how to find a Pamoja teacher’s email address: https://help.pamojaeducation.com/hc/en-us/articles/4414446900493-SBC-Support-Finding-a-Teacher-s-Email-Address-on-ManageBac-IBDP-Students-
IOAs will be sent to IB examiners by Pamoja Education